AccessDubuque.com

Thanks Michael Been, for a resonating song
Last updated on August 20, 2010 at 07:53 AM
thecall_wallsdown.jpg

"Well they blew the horns, and the walls came down. They'd all been warned, and the walls came down."
I was saddened this morning to hear of the death of Michael Been, age 60.
Been and his band, The Call, came out of Santa Cruz, Calif., in the early 1980s, and their song "The Walls Came Down" really helped me get through my high school years.
"They just stood there laughing, they're not laughing anymore. The walls came down, sanctuary fades."
For music lovers, there are always songs that resonate, then remind you of times in your life.
"The Walls Came Down" is certainly one of those songs for me.
By the end of the 1980s, The Call released their big hit, "Let The Day Begin." It stormed to the top of the U.S. Rock chart.
Been's creativity wasn't satisfied by simply playing in a band, and by the 1990s he was composing film music and acting.
While The Call slipped farther into history, Been spent his latter years helping his son Robert Levon Been's band, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.
I've still got my 45 of "The Walls Came Down."
I'll give it a spin tonight when I get off work. Thanks to Been, it's a song that echoes throughout my years.

Erik Hogstrom
Bio: Erik is in his 11th year at the Telegraph Herald, covering health care, human services, weather, technology and other topics.

Recent blogs:
Recent comments:
Search the 1359 Blogs
Search for blogs in Category:   
Search for blogs in Sub-Category:   
Search for:  

Comments

Note: These Comments are submitted by TH Forum members and guests. All guest submissions are reviewed prior to publication. Content posted by TH Forum members are not necessarily reviewed until a "Suggest Removal" has been submitted.

Create a blog!
(You must be logged in to create a blog)
Most Recent Blogs
Most Popular Blogs